With Art Basel Miami Beach returning in December 2022, it’s essential to know how to prepare for one of the largest events in North America.
Art Basel Miami Beach is a comprehensive celebration of contemporary art, which brings over 250 galleries from 35 countries to the warm shores of Miami Beach every December. With thousands of people and the whirlwind of smaller fairs and celebrations this event brings to the city, there is much to discover and enjoy.
Whether you intend to enjoy the beaches when in town for Miami Art Week or mark your trip with visits to Miami’s famous clubs, there are plenty of exciting ways to spend your time in Miami. And this guide will tell you everything you need to know to prepare for Art Basel Miami Beach.
This post contains affiliate links, meaning if you buy something through one of these links, we may earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Please read our full disclosure policy for more information.
What is Art Basel Miami Beach?
Art Basel Miami Beach is an internationally renowned art show that brings together galleries, artists, art dealers, and collectors to the heart of South Beach. It is one of three major art fairs held under the Art Basel label, with others held annually in Basel, Switzerland, and Hong Kong. As of 2022, Paris will also be hosting Art Basel. As of 2022, Paris will also be hosting Art Basel.
Art Basel focuses on modern and contemporary art. It draws from galleries worldwide to ensure that work from some of the world’s most famous collectors, museums, and curators are represented.
The first Miami Beach Art Basel was held in 2002, and each year since, the show has grown in scale and popularity. Art Basel is peppered with a burst of parties, events, satellite exhibits, and celebrations all around Miami, collectively known as Miami Art Week. With so much to enjoy, Art Basel Miami Beach is an event you truly can’t miss!
Where is Art Basel Miami Beach Held?
The focus and center of Art Basel Miami is at the Miami Beach Convention Center in the heart of Miami Beach (South Beach), with quick access to some of the best restaurants and attractions in the city.
With such a large structure to work with, the Miami Beach Convention Center can fit thousands. The exhibits are separated into curated sections, such as galleries, solo exhibitions, show prints, and editioned works for visitors to take in and explore.
Art Basel in Miami Beach Venue Location:
Miami Beach Convention Center
1901 Convention Center Drive
Miami Beach, FL 33139
What Are the Dates for Art Basel Miami 2022?
Art Basel in Miami Beach is held in December each year. In 2022, it will take place from December 1st through December 3rd. Below are the exhibit show dates.
|Private Days (by invitation only):||Exhibits Public Opening Hours:|
|Tuesday, November 29, 2022, 11 am to 7 pm||Thursday, December 1, 2022, 11 am to 7 pm|
|Wednesday, November 30, 2022, 11 am to 7 pm||Friday, December 2, 2022, 11 am to 7 pm|
|Saturday, December 3, 2022, 11 am to 6 pm|
How Do I Get into Art Basel Miami Beach
To enter Art Basel Miami Beach’s main showrooms, you must purchase tickets ahead of time. Show tickets are unavailable on-site and can only be purchased on the fair’s website here.
Art Basel Miami Ticket Costs 2022
Expect to pay the following prices for Art Basel tickets in 2022. Prices may vary by year.
- General Admission Day Ticket: $65
- Senior or Student Discount for General Admission Day Ticket: $50
- General Admission Evening Ticket: $50
- Miami Resident Discount for General Admission Day Ticket: $50
- Admission is free for children 12 and under with an accompanying adult.
If you decide to attend unaffiliated satellite events or parties, plan to pay any associated fees and fulfill any required RSVPs.
How Much Are Art Basel VIP Tickets
Consider purchasing VIP passes if you want to enjoy all the allure of the Art Basel Miami Beach experience.
Typically, these passes are offered to collectors and other prominent figures in the art world. Still, many choose to resell them, making these much sought-after rarities available to anyone who can pay the right price.
Due to the rarity of the passes, their prices can range drastically. You can expect to pay between $2,000 to $6,000 for a VIP pass, but you might see varying prices depending on market conditions and how close to the event date.
What is There to Do at Art Basel Miami?
There is a plethora of things to do during Art Basel Miami Beach. The event is split into various attractions, segmenting specific displays appealing to visitor interests. For example, you can visit the Positions sector for ambitious solo presentations or look at the exhibits in the Meridians section to see boundary-pushing large projects.
The sectors available for viewing at Art Basel in Miami Beach are as follow:
- Galleries – The primary sector of the Art Basel fair is an exhibition of leading contemporary and modern art galleries. Galleries at Art Basel contain works from the 20th century to new masters.
- Meridians – An exhibition curated by Magalia Arriola that focuses on large-scale projects meant to push the boundaries of traditional art fair design.
- Nova – A sector specifically curated from a selection of works created within the last three years by a small group of one to three artists.
- Positions – An exhibition of eye-catching solo presentations created by ambitious, emerging artists held by young galleries.
- Survey – A sector dedicated to artistic practices of historical relevance curated by galleries.
- Edition – A display of editioned works, multiples, and prints put together by a collection of publishers and galleries.
- Kabinett – A curated sector with separate gallery booths that present works, including thematic group exhibitions, solo presentations, and art-historical showcases.
- Magazines – A sector specifically for editors and publishers highlighting some of the world’s finest international art publications.
- Conversations – A feature of dialogues held between prominent art world figures, including critics, artists, curators, and collectors.
Other Things to Do During Art Basel Miami Beach
- Institute of Contemporary Art Miami (ICA)
- The Bass
- Frost Art MuseumMiami Children’s Museum
- Museum of Art and Design at Miami Dade College
- Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami
- Perez Art Museum Miami (PAMM)
- The Wolfsonian
Can Anyone Go to Art Basel Miami?
The Art Basel in Miami Beach welcomes any ticket holders to enjoy the venues and galleries offered during the 3-day event. Adult visitors will find a deeply held appreciation for the works on display at Art Basel Miami Beach.
Attending Art Basel Miami Beach with Children
In contrast, younger visitors (4 to 11) are invited to the complimentary kindergarten and playroom to participate in arts and crafts, art history, and storytelling activities while their adult companions tour the show. Pre-registration is required, and more details are available here.
If you prefer to explore the venue as a family, please note that an adult must always accompany children under 16. Free admission for children 12 and under when accompanied by a ticket-holding adult.
Accessibility at Art Basel
Miami Beach Convention Center is equipped with complimentary amenities like wheelchairs and scooters to ensure that persons with disabilities can fully enjoy the event.
Where to Stay During Art Basel in Miami Beach
Because Art Basel in Miami Beach falls the week after Thanksgiving, you should plan to avoid getting caught up in the busy holiday travel. Choosing a good hotel in Miami and making reservations ahead of time is one way to get ahead of the pack; luckily, there are many great options.
- Mondrian at South Beach: The Mondrian is a great choice if you want to stay where the locals are. This hotel offers easy access to the Miami Beach Convention Center and a gorgeous view of downtown Miami.
- The Standard Miami Beach: This gorgeous adults-only hotel is within the Convention Center and offers amenities like a topless pool and a beautiful bay view.
- W South Beach: A few short blocks from the Convention Center, the Marriott is a luxurious option with a beautiful pool to enjoy.
How to Get Around Miami During Art Basel
The heavy traffic could make getting around Miami during Art Basel seem intimidating. Luckily, there are multiple options to navigate the Magic City. If you can book a hotel near the Miami Beach Convention Center, it could be a simple walk there. Otherwise, there are ample options, like renting a car or even riding along the free Art Week shuttle via the Miami Beach free trolley system.
Rider Share or Taxi Service
Lyft or Uber are options for direct transport, or you can call a local taxi service such as:
- Yellow Taxi Miami
- Super Yellow Taxi
- Miami Taxi Services
If you prefer public transportation, the Miami-Dade transit department offers three options for public transport: the Metromover, Metrobus, and Metrorail.
- The Metromover is a free elevated train system with three partial loops and a complete city loop and runs most of the day through the whole week.
- The Metrorail provides service from the Miami International Airport to many Miami destinations and operates most of the day through the entire week.
- The Metrobus offers services through Miami Beach and all across Dade County and is designed to intersect with Metrorail stations to provide easy access within Greater Miami.
Miami also offers a CitiBike program, which allows rentals of bikes to be picked up and returned to stations for easy transportation. You can either opt for a monthly rental ($15-25 per month) or rent a bike for 30 minutes for $4.95.
What Should I Wear to Art Basel Miami 2022?
There isn’t a specific dress code for Art Basel in Miami Beach, but that doesn’t mean you can’t dress to impress. From the world-famous Miami nightlife getups to spectacular celebrity ensembles, everyone seems to bring their best to Miami — and you can, too.
Combining a flashy print or incredible silhouette with a polished approach is a great way to stand out. For footwear, you combine comfort and stylishness to ensure foot pain won’t keep you from enjoying all-day shows (and afterparty!)
If you’re looking to mimic Miami fashion, our Miami packing list essential guide is an excellent place to start.
Where to Party in Miami During Art Basel
From nightclubs to VIP parties, there are many options to enjoy the Miami nightlife during your Art Basel trip. Check out our guides with the go-to nightlife destinations in the city:
- Locally renowned Miami bars and lounges with lively vibe and great cocktails
- Nightclubs in Miami offering the best DJs, dance floors, and prime celeb-spotting experience